FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-12 21:31:42

JayNick

[FEATURE] View animated SVG Image

I would find it much more convenient to be able to view the SVG image without having to download it. SVG support for animation is lost when displaying the .png image. (After all, this site is FreeSVG not FreePNG - haha).

Perhaps you could display the SVG image instead of the .png image, or add a View SVG button, or link the SVG image to the displayed .png image. Openclipart used the last option, when clicking on the .png thumbnail, it displayed the SVG image by itself.

Thanks for all your hard work. It is great to have these images available again. You are even getting me to fix some of the older images I claimed that were broken due to browser updates.

#2 2019-12-12 23:30:00

rob_s

Re: [FEATURE] View animated SVG Image

I agree being able to access these animations is a must, I've been adding your animated links to the guide you produced just to use as examples and I too am finding it challenging as the location of the file is not immediately obvious, your the only person currently that I am aware of that produces these animated SVG on the site but I personally hope you either inspire others, or we attract others that already know how to produce these to freesvg as I think they are brilliant. PNG's appear to be the backbone of the operation especially where image previews are concerned, but I see no reason why a link to view svg button or link cant be added where it opens in another window purhaps and is viewed as a SVG not PNG, which could be useful for this type of scenario.

I will let the developers advise further.

#3 2020-01-11 14:17:05

rob_s

It would appear the image preview window on the backend where tagging takes place is capable of rendering animations. Purhaps it may be possible to cut and paste the code into the download page on the front end, so that animations are displayed from within there, instead of it being a still image. Maybe better than having to provide a link, to view the SVG animation.

https://freesvg.org/r3v6rs9d   is an axample of file that is animated on backend.

#4 2020-01-27 12:52:59

vedran

Tried several options.
Usually animations (at least ones in database) are large and leaving svg file would make page load too slow.

#5 2020-01-27 23:57:54

rob_s

Can't think of anything else other than the solution that was originally proposed by jaynick, maybe you could ask the question on the backend, is this is an animation and if author states yes then on front end a button or hypertext would appear "this is an animation, click to view" giving the visitor / user the ability to view source svg in the browser opening in a different tab this could also have the added beneift of advising users which images which are static, and which are animated. or alternatively make the image preview on the download page a hyperlink to the source svg file that opens up in another tab, irrespective of it being an animation or static image.

There is also the possibility to create GIF animation from the raw PNG slides of each animation but this could be more trouble than it's worth.

#6 2020-01-31 17:20:05

JayNick

It's not just animations, but scripted files as well, like my SVG Calculator https://freesvg.org/scripted-calculator . I am not asking that the .svg files be displayed on the main page, but on the detail page like this one: https://freesvg.org/triskelion-path-animation

If nothing else, I would like to see the .png image displayed on this page https://freesvg.org/triskelion-path-animation be linked so that when I click on the .png image displayed, I get the SVG image https://freesvg.org/storage/zip/blog/Tr … mation.svg 

That is how openclipart.org used to work. Now their download SVG button links directly to the .svg file on their site - that option is better than your site in my opinion.

Having the browser interaction when I click on the Download SVG button is unnecessary and painful. It then displays from my local computer instead of your website, which forbids my viewing the SVG source code on my iPhone, iPad - I like to see how some things are coded in SVG.

BTW, some animations are large, but mine, being handcoded, are typically small and maybe smaller than the .png file.

#7 2020-02-02 20:53:23

rob_s

Agree with Jaynick, most of these animations use a form of tweening instead of frame by frame so size should not be an issue. We understand the animation should be visible on the download page, and not the search results or home page.

The download button and browser interaction is likely to stay as this is how 99% of users interact with the site, but I am sure there is a way in which your request could be accommodated, it's just going to take a little effort on the part of the developers, to come up with a solution, but I have every confidence in their ability to come up with a solution that works for all.

Board footer