FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-24 12:40:11

admin
Administrator

Welcome to SVG clip art forum!

Discuss SVG clip art, ask questions, share and comment.

#2 2019-10-07 22:15:44

Lazur

Re: Welcome to SVG clip art forum!

Thank you for the welcome!

May I introduce myself here.
Avid user of inkscape, and a frequent uploader to openclipart.org.
Currently openclipart is "closed" -seemingly 3000 of my images gone into the twilight zone.

Simultaneously taking part in inkscape's vector team and was thinking we could revive the site -even more so that there used to be a feature within inkscape to load images from openclipart.

All in all, currently brainstorming how to maintain a backup copy of openclipart and also how other svg file sharing possibilities exist.
Of which are public domain, and could integrate well into inkscape.
What do you think?

#3 2019-10-08 10:16:09

admin
Administrator

Re: Welcome to SVG clip art forum!

Hi Lazur, nice to meet you and welcome you here.

We definitely hope OCAL would come back because it was great community that offered real public domain license for SVG files. Closing it down indefinitely would be great loss for anyone working with free graphics but lack of information for such a long time is not a good sign so few people here and in other places worked hard to save what could be saved.

As you may know we have uploaded around 55k svgs from OCAL to this website , all with our own titles and descriptions and tags. We have collected all svgs from the remains of OCAL and now have around 158k svgs of which, as mentioned 55k are published here. For the rest of images we do not have titles, descriptions or tags and are looking for the best way how to fill that information. Regarding integration to Inkscape we would like to know if we can help somehow. We are creating backup of current files published on the website and in case of some unforeseen circumstance we would publish it to the public. We want these files to remain open for everyone.

Board footer