FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-30 16:26:51

rob_s

[FEATURE/ IDEA] campaign to enlist more help with tagging

I think most will be in agreement more help is needed with tagging of previous ocal images. So far we have tried reaching out to people for their help via twitter, and the forum and although we have a couple of new users that are now taking part, more help is needed to clear the backlog. We need to convert some of site visitors into registered users, and the only way I can think of to do that is to draw their attention to the cause, so I suggest the following temporary measure be put in place: banner or popup to be placed on the home page above preview images so that it is clearly visable, asking for people to donate 5 minutes of their time to help out with tagging.

I realise no one is a great fan of these things, I myself included which is why I am asking for it to be a temporary solution,  I think it would be more effective if used now and then, instead of all of the time.

#2 2019-11-30 17:06:04

j4p4n

Re: [FEATURE/ IDEA] campaign to enlist more help with tagging

Bad idea. No offense. I know you don't like me, so I'm not trying to be aggressive. But that's a bad idea. There's no rush. The files will be tagged when they are tagged. Don't have to pressure people into it with pop ups etc. Just let it happen, natural flow.

#3 2019-11-30 22:11:58

rob_s

J4 What a pleasant surprise. lol. It's discourse, so your entitled to your opinion. You clearly don't know me, if I didn't like you, I wouldn't speak to you.

Hear me out: I would suspect not many downloaders use the forum, so placing posts asking for help there go virtually unnoticed, equally twitter account followers is not great so putting a request out through that is fairly pointless unless it gets retweeted by current followers. I've been tweeting in the OCAL forum, and have been successful to a degree but even the ocal twitter page is pretty much dead these days, plus I can't make a post there these days without being shadowed by another clipart site.

How I understand it is returning visitor numbers will be increased through more registered users engagement with tagging. returning visitors builds brand awareness, which in turn may help increase user numbers through referrals as those tagging may help promote the site to others.

Maybe not a a popup, as they are extremely annoying. But I see no reason why a small unobtrusive tasteful banner can't be strategically placed for, what I repeat should be a small period of time, even google who have a fairly minimalist design, use their page for promotion their agenda from time to time.

Going back to twitter, the site needs to stand on it's own feet now, and needs to be seen as the go to place for free clipart after the demise of OCAL, even though I hate twitter I recognize it's a powerful free marketing tool and a great way to keep users informed. I suggest "follow us on twitter" in addition to the twitter buttons already there, strategically placed where it will be noticeable to new users, maybe directly below the download button, again only for a short period of time, just to see if it makes a difference to twitter subscribers, or alternatively instagram I am old but I hear young people love it.

#4 2020-01-04 14:17:57

rob_s

Those that objected to this idea don't seem to be around anymore and from what I can see may have decide to jump ship back to OCAL as that site claims to be making a comeback. There is nothing wrong with this, and is to be expected, but I think in their absence to further enhance this site, and recruit new taggers to replace old, then you may wish to reconsider this as a viable idea.

Board footer