FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-29 12:52:56

rob_s

[BUG] sitewide restriction to prevent deletion of images by users

Looking at the site activity, it would appear some users may be deleting images, I am sure this is either unintentional or completely innocent by thinking they are assisting with house keeping from the reported page purhaps, either way users should not have the option to delete images, and as mentioned previously I don't see the point in the upload image option either, unless it's been placed there with a specific purpose in mind.

#2 2019-11-29 16:46:55

vedran

Re: [BUG] sitewide restriction to prevent deletion of images by users

Hi Rob
all deletes are soft deletes meaning that they are only marked as deleted. So no data is lost. I can maybe make some menu with list of deleted images for moderators to see and check if some image is deleted with purpose.

#3 2019-11-29 16:55:35

rob_s

I don't think they are deleted with malicious intent, but at the same time there is no scenario that I can think of where a user needs to delete an image, It might in time be possible to amend an image, and keep track of these changes through some form of versioning, but deleting I think should be reserved for yourselves.

Just my personal oppinion gents.

#4 2019-11-30 17:08:36

j4p4n

rob_s, chill man, it was me. I thought that was what vedran wanted us to do. I was only deleting copyrighted images like Pepe and the Simpsons. I thought that was my role here, aren't we suppose to clean things up and make it smooth? You seem to not want us around here, and I am a little confused by the attitude honestly. Was just trying to be helpful.

#5 2019-11-30 17:17:13

JayNick

Actually, I have some images that might need to be deleted or reworked. I have some that worked with the OpenClipArt API that no longer work. Also, some of my earlier animations no longer work due to browser updates that should be updated/deleted.

Thanks to freesvg.org for keeping embedded script. That is something freesvgclipart.com stripped rendering several of my clipart useless. For example, I set the current time on many clocks with script - adding script to remix the great work of others.
Compare:
https://freesvgclipart.com/download/55344/
versus
https://freesvg.org/storage/zip/blog/An … lClock.svg

Last edited by JayNick (2019-11-30 17:21:04)

#6 2019-11-30 20:49:48

rob_s

J4p4n, If Vedran has given you the OK then that's fine, but this was never communicated to me, also I wasn't aware they weren't physically deleted, and were instead just marked for deletion, all I seen was images were being removed, so I done what I thought was best and that was to bring it to the attention of the web developers, if it had been any other user then this would instead be directed at them, it's just unfortunately your taking it to heart instead of seeing I am trying to ensure all the images are preserved. try to imagine some random user was deleting your images, wouldn't you have wanted me to do the same?

"You seem to not want us around here"
I did not realise you spoke for the group, all I can say is if I didn't want you all around I wouldn't have worked so hard to raise awareness of the site via OCAL twitter account, I believe a community of contributors and users is not much of a community without any one around.

As for comments about my attitude well you've just started a conversation off by saying "chill man" so your hardly in a position to lecture. I appreciate you were one of the many contributors to OCAL and as I have told you consistently, your contribution to this site is valued & greatly appreciated, it's just unfortunate we do not agree on certain issues, but that's life.

#7 2019-11-30 21:13:39

rob_s

JayNick wrote:

Actually, I have some images that might need to be deleted or reworked. I have some that worked with the OpenClipArt API that no longer work. Also, some of my earlier animations no longer work due to browser updates that should be updated/deleted.

I have a tendancy to over think things, I figured the site should include some versioning capabilities to enable both users and sitedevs to keep track of what is happening with images, but I realise this would be a big ask for a site so early in it's development. To be honest it may not even be necessary now that I know files are just marked for deletion and aren't physically deleted.

I am not sure how this will work for yourself, when you upload a substitute file to your personal collection, one would assume it will just replace the file you have there already, but if files aren't actually being deleted or replaced then I have no idea, hopefully the web developers can advise further.

#8 2019-12-01 23:36:04

rob_s

Jaynick, you got a list of all the URL's for your animations that are accessible from within freesvg, I would like to add them to that guide you created if I can to demonstrate to people what is possible with SVG.

#9 2019-12-01 23:46:33

CyanideCupcake
Website

I've also deleted images that were clearly not in the public domain (ie: My Little Pony, Pepe, Star Wars, Diary of a Wimpy Kid art and UPS logos).  Anything I'm not sure of I've flagged and left in the report queue for other users to make a determination on. 

It could be helpful if there was a way for users to say why they chose to delete an image.

Agree. Thanks to everyone who deleted images that were trademarked or suspicious to be under copyright. We just need to discuss these things here that's all. No offense to anyone and no hard feelings. Any help is appreciated.

#10 2019-12-02 00:41:42

rob_s

Vedran did say he could create a list of these soft deletes but I think the guys might be swamped at the moment, with all the other stuff we are throwing at them. Personally I just see a potential for misuse of the delete and upload function within the current lists, if it's going to be available to all users. We are OK at the moment, as those currently contributing have proved themselves to be trustworthy. But if one bad apple were to join, they could wreak havok even if the files aren't really deleted. Any list should probably include user name who deleted, reason for delete, and ability to reinstate if needed, and also a way to knock off old images from the list after a prolonged period of time, otherwise we could find ourselves scrolling page after page.

#11 2019-12-02 16:57:33

boris

Thanks to anyone who deleted trademarked or suspicious images. We just need more communication and it should happen right here. No hard feelings and no offense to anyone. Any help is appreciated.

Board footer