FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-04 15:05:30

admin
Administrator

Which feature do you want most?

In the pipeline we have several features which we will implement on the site in the near feature. Please vote below which one you would like to see first.

Features in the pipeline

1. Remixes of SVG vectors to be displayed on the SVG download page.
  2. Translation of the complete website to other languanges.
  3. Bulk upload of SVG vectors for registered users.
  4. Comments on SVG download page
  5. Tagging of original uploader (if person is registered on our website)
Total votes: 6

Results of poll are hidden from guests

#2 2019-10-04 20:35:47

rob_s

Re: Which feature do you want most?

Liking the Polls, but you forgot one, a twitter page. I keep thinking eventually OCAL twitter page will go down and there will be no where else to turn to for updates for the community, purhaps you could create a page where users like me can follow in the event ocal goes down, so we can be kept informed of polls like this and engaged, and hopefully somewhere you can feature image of the month based on likes.

#3 2019-10-05 11:14:22

admin
Administrator

Hi Rob,
thanks for suggestion. Will do that today.

Update:
https://twitter.com/SvgFree

KR

Last edited by admin (2019-10-05 11:25:17)

#4 2019-10-06 12:26:43

boris

rob_s wrote:

Liking the Polls, but you forgot one, a twitter page. I keep thinking eventually OCAL twitter page will go down and there will be no where else to turn to for updates for the community, purhaps you could create a page where users like me can follow in the event ocal goes down, so we can be kept informed of polls like this and engaged, and hopefully somewhere you can feature image of the month based on likes.

With all respect but Twitter (and Facebook) are terrible. They stopped me in the middle of the message and asked for Captcha plus sms code they never sent. I prefer not to use them for any type of communication as their machine-learning spam fighting is miserably bad in guessing what is spam and what is not. Plus they can shut down anyone's account for no reason at all and without any explanation.

#5 2019-10-06 13:46:27

rob_s

This is true Boris, but if you play it safe by only posting content to your own timeline, or responding to others, where the purpose is strictly to notify your followers of news relevant to your site, and to resisting the temptation to hashtag or post tweets to other timelines, which is self promotion, then you should be fine. It's ultimately up to yourselves, whether it's worth pursuing, if the followers numbers don't go up, then it's probably not worth having. I agree captcha is a pain, but very effective authentication tool to reducing spam, it might actually be beneficial for the forum registration process to cut down on those fake accounts which I see are being generated. Just ideas buddy, entirely up to yourselves whether they should be considered.

#6 2019-10-07 07:40:22

boris

rob_s wrote:

This is true Boris, but if you play it safe by only posting content to your own timeline, or responding to others, where the purpose is strictly to notify your followers of news relevant to your site, and to resisting the temptation to hashtag or post tweets to other timelines, which is self promotion, then you should be fine. It's ultimately up to yourselves, whether it's worth pursuing, if the followers numbers don't go up, then it's probably not worth having. I agree captcha is a pain, but very effective authentication tool to reducing spam, it might actually be beneficial for the forum registration process to cut down on those fake accounts which I see are being generated. Just ideas buddy, entirely up to yourselves whether they should be considered.

Hi Rob,
sorry if it sounded like a critique of your post, I did not mean to disqualify Twitter idea, just wanted to point to difficulties in using Twitter and their not so fine-tuned spam fighting measures. In some way I can understand them because I can only image the amount of spam and fake accounts they get (even this forum is target of spam on daily basis, although it has a tiny fraction of Twitter's traffic). We created the account and tried to use it and were suddenly stopped and asked to use Captcha plus code that they sent on mobile phone. It took us about 5 minutes to continue the post.  I don't know how often this occurs as I am not regular use of Twitter. Hopefully, not so often.

#7 2019-10-07 11:41:34

rob_s

No worries Boris, I understand your frustrations with it, I feel the same way.

#8 2019-10-07 22:27:16

Lazur

Hi.

First I'd like to see a visually -and functionally- appealing site. The current one seems clustered even compared to (the late?) openclipart's.

#9 2019-10-07 22:38:17

rob_s

Flag as inappropriate button or flag for review by a moderator button should be added, there is one image uploaded with description that is not child friendly and should be revised using a less vulgar word, should probably impliment auto blacklisting of certain words for validation prior to submission on both site and forum. repeat offenders should be cautioned, then eventually banned if they do not correct their choice of words or behaviour.

#10 2019-10-08 10:23:56

admin
Administrator

Lazur wrote:

Hi.

First I'd like to see a visually -and functionally- appealing site. The current one seems clustered even compared to (the late?) openclipart's.

Can you be more specific? What exactly regarding visual appearance and functionality? We are open for suggestions.

#11 2019-10-08 10:27:24

admin
Administrator

rob_s wrote:

Flag as inappropriate button or flag for review by a moderator button should be added, there is one image uploaded with description that is not child friendly and should be revised using a less vulgar word, should probably impliment auto blacklisting of certain words for validation prior to submission on both site and forum. repeat offenders should be cautioned, then eventually banned if they do not correct their choice of words or behaviour.

That's great point and feature suggestion. This website must be family friendly and we will definitely do something in line with your suggestions.

#12 2019-10-09 19:45:37

adlerweb
Website

One more thing would be a proper upload form. Currently I only found the "admin area" which allows uploading, however some fields seem redundant and "admin" terminology might scare people away.

Examples what I am missing:
- Titles currently must be unique, doesn't really make much sense for me. Orange1, Orange2, etc?
- Image-file must be submitted twice? Or should it be SVG + rendered PNG?
- Tags are meh (see FR)
- When something goes wrong most parts of the form are lost and must be entered again

Last edited by adlerweb (2019-10-09 20:20:41)

#13 2019-10-10 03:26:17

admin
Administrator

Hi adlerweb
below are comments

adlerweb wrote:

- Titles currently must be unique, doesn't really make much sense for me. Orange1, Orange2, etc?

We want to have more precise descriptions in order to find vectors easier with search function. We can add automatically numbers at the end of the title but user can find it much easier if unique. What we can do is to warn you before you submit image that title is not unique so you don't have to enter everything again.

adlerweb wrote:

Our first version only had a one image field, but lot of SVG (around 10-15%) could not be automatically converted to png, so we added other field. But you are right, will try to find some way to reduce redundancy.

adlerweb wrote:

- Tags are meh (see FR)

OK

adlerweb wrote:

- When something goes wrong most parts of the form are lost and must be entered again

Aware of this and already working on it

#14 2019-10-10 07:59:06

admin
Administrator

adlerweb wrote:

One more thing would be a proper upload form. Currently I only found the "admin area" which allows uploading, however some fields seem redundant and "admin" terminology might scare people away.

Examples what I am missing:
- Tags are meh (see FR)

Fixed following:
- Image doesn't have to be submitted twice anymore, just once
- Duplicate titles and descriptions are allowed when uploading new files.
- Data in form is not deleted anymore

#15 2019-10-14 11:52:41

rob_s

Hi

To help out with the tagging of the new images scrapped from OCAL to speed up the process I suggest community enabled tagging should take presidence I think this is option 5 so will cast my vote, as pointed out by one of your twitter followers "I'm personally all for it.   Many hands make light work and all that" I think we have gone over how this could be implimented in our previous comms but for your convenience I highlight the main points which may need to be considered:
Tagging of other uploaders images permitted only for registered users
You may only contribute tags, cannot remove them, The more tags the better the search result
blocklist to prevent offensive words may need imposed, but I would expect most registered users to obey the site rules and keep it clean anyway.
either way there should still be some degree of moderation
finding images for people to tag needs to be easy so suggest giving them one word tag, purhaps "untagged / 4tagging / retagging / notags" then people can search by this tag and add there own, once you reach a point where all images are tagged, then perhaps the"untagged" tag, can be removed or alterntively periodically remove from those images that have been retagged.
or as per the suggestion from one of your users on twitter:
Wondering if there would need to be tiered user roles to prevent misuse from random people?  (ie: not every user can tag, guidelines around tagging)

Hope this helps. No response needed.

#16 2019-10-16 08:18:11

liftarn

rob_s wrote:

Wondering if there would need to be tiered user roles to prevent misuse from random people?  (ie: not every user can tag, guidelines around tagging)

Yes, something like the librarians on old OCAL.

#17 2019-10-16 13:33:32

vedran

rob_s wrote:

Hi

To help out with the tagging of the new images scrapped from OCAL to speed up the process I suggest community enabled tagging should take presidence I think this is option 5 so will cast my vote, as pointed out by one of your twitter followers "I'm personally all for it.   Many hands make light work and all that" I think we have gone over how this could be implimented in our previous comms but for your convenience I highlight the main points which may need to be considered:
Tagging of other uploaders images permitted only for registered users
You may only contribute tags, cannot remove them, The more tags the better the search result
blocklist to prevent offensive words may need imposed, but I would expect most registered users to obey the site rules and keep it clean anyway.
either way there should still be some degree of moderation
finding images for people to tag needs to be easy so suggest giving them one word tag, purhaps "untagged / 4tagging / retagging / notags" then people can search by this tag and add there own, once you reach a point where all images are tagged, then perhaps the"untagged" tag, can be removed or alterntively periodically remove from those images that have been retagged.
or as per the suggestion from one of your users on twitter:

Hope this helps. No response needed.

Hi
we will try to do some kind of automation.
Also I agree that roles will be needed. Good news is that user system is done in a way that supports tiered roles.
We did some automatic tagging by image recognition apis. Results are sometimes great, sometimes not so great. Moderation will be needed for sure.
For start we will upgrade roles of users who are already contributing so that only they can do the tagging. This can be some kind filtration system. Depending on community involvement we will increase number of SVGs that can be tagged. All SVG released for tagging will have filled values based on cloud image recognition api suggestions. In some cases there will be no need to edit, just to put published status.
We think that best way to do so is special navigation tab in administration (menu) where all prefilled SVG can be accessed by authorised members and they can decide which they wish to edit.

#18 2019-10-16 13:58:50

rob_s

yeh testing the google vision app you guys mentioned gave me a couple of unusual results, but on the whole seems like a good approach. Re tagging, yes this seems like a good approach too, think you might need to get the word out in the forum and via twitter, to make people aware you have whole collection but need help with tagging. Also I see one of the contacts I approached who is a teacher, gave you a shout out via instagram, I seen a couple of responses from his followers " teachers or parents i assume" asking if the site is child friendly. I think on the whole it is, but as user numbers increase the possibility of misuse of the site tags & comments or forum, could occur.

#19 2019-10-16 15:27:00

vedran

rob_s wrote:

yeh testing the google vision app you guys mentioned gave me a couple of unusual results, but on the whole seems like a good approach. Re tagging, yes this seems like a good approach too, think you might need to get the word out in the forum and via twitter, to make people aware you have whole collection but need help with tagging. Also I see one of the contacts I approached who is a teacher, gave you a shout out via instagram, I seen a couple of responses from his followers " teachers or parents i assume" asking if the site is child friendly. I think on the whole it is, but as user numbers increase the possibility of misuse of the site tags & comments or forum, could occur.

We have tested Google Vision and Microsoft Computer Vision. Google gives much better results on abstract images, but only offer tags (without description) while Microsoft offers tags and title, but results are not so great.
We will be oriented to child safe content. Both of these Image processing apis detect explicit content so we will try to use that (also all of the SVG which we pulled from Public domain vectors are child safe)

#20 2019-10-16 18:26:15

rob_s

Sorry Vedran unrelated to the Image recognition, I ment you're probably going to need to drop in a blocklist to prevent swear words at some stage, for any comments or tags written by contributors. I think it's already on your to do list.

#21 2019-10-16 18:36:36

vedran

rob_s wrote:

Sorry Vedran unrelated to the Image recognition, I ment you're probably going to need to drop in a blocklist to prevent swear words at some stage, for any comments or tags written by contributors. I think it's already on your to do list.

Ah ok,
Stopwords are easy. This will be introduced for sure. I was more concerned about how to recognize child safe images if tags and description is child safe.
Thanks for great suggestions

#22 2019-10-16 21:09:00

rob_s

I never even thought of that to be honest, it could also be an issue also I guess, teenagers do like to mess around, just as well you got that covered too.

#23 2019-11-02 20:32:17

Algot
Website

rob_s wrote:

Though you may, for now, get fewer connections, I'd also recommend setting up an account in the federated network embodied by Mastodon. The federation is currently much smaller than the Twitter silo, but it is built on Free Software principles, very much in keeping with the spirit-of-sharing intent of the FreeSVG site.

I would recommend you consider setting up your account on the mastodon.art instance https://mastodon.art/about. In the event you find enrollment is currently by invite only, ping me via this site's email option and I can give you an invitation link.

#24 2019-11-03 08:14:46

vedran

Algot wrote:
rob_s wrote:

Though you may, for now, get fewer connections, I'd also recommend setting up an account in the federated network embodied by Mastodon. The federation is currently much smaller than the Twitter silo, but it is built on Free Software principles, very much in keeping with the spirit-of-sharing intent of the FreeSVG site.

I would recommend you consider setting up your account on the mastodon.art instance https://mastodon.art/about. In the event you find enrollment is currently by invite only, ping me via this site's email option and I can give you an invitation link.

Thanks Algot
We have noticed lot of referrals from Mastodon. We will setup account there and ping you in case of any probems

Board footer