FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 13:21:05

mvolz

[FEATURE] public access api for current inkscape plugin

What do we think about having an api that could be used in the inkscape plugin (which used to be powered by open clipart) without authentication?

Right now the current one requires an auth key, but that would end up being public if included in the plug-in - would that be okay?

#2 2019-12-28 14:21:02

rob_s

Re: [FEATURE] public access api for current inkscape plugin

That's a fantastic idea, the developers were thinking of creating their own plugin next year, but if there is already a plugin out their that could be adapted for this purpose then hopefully this would speed up the process.

Thanks for your suggestion.

#3 2020-01-01 11:27:00

mvolz

So I've just researched it, it wasn't actually a plug-in, it was in the core repository:

The developers just removed it last month here: https://gitlab.com/inkscape/inkscape/me … 1006/diffs

But presumably some of that code could be re-purposed.

#4 2020-01-01 13:49:43

rob_s

Happy new year!!

Thanks for looking into this mvolz, coincidentally, I approached the guy who is mentioned on github, as he used to frequent the OCAL twitter page when it first went down, and asked him for advice on creating a plugin, but he ignored my tweet. I know that lazur who I think is a inkscape forum moderator has made multiple attempts to engage with OCAL and only just recently made contact, https://t.co/r0zjueXmRc?amp=1 I think part of their discussion was to revive OCAL and reintergrate the collection into Inkscape.

There seems to be a unspoken / unwritten bond between inkscape and OCAL probably due to one of the founders to OCAL being involved in sodipodi, the godfather of what would become inkscape. This makes it very difficult for this project to develop a plugin that would be part of inkscape core, so it may just end up being a 3rd party plugins, that inkscape users would be free to install.

Of course if OCAL do return, and the core plugin get's fixed. Then we may have to evaluate whether it is even necessary for freesvg to offer a plugin, as it would be pointless spending significant time developing a plugin that no one will use.

It was a good idea though, if OCAL weren't making attempts to come back, it would have definately been worth pursuing.

Board footer