FreeSVG community discussion forum

Place to discuss various topics regarding public domain svg, community.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-10 12:50:10

rob_s

[IDEA] BAN PREVIOUS USERS FOR UNFAIR USE OF CONTENT

I am seeing a lot of publicdomainvector & freesvg images being posted to openclipart by previous disgruntled user Liftarn. I understand the images are public domain and people can do whatever they want with them, but I think since you devoted your own significant time and effort into producing these then you should at the very least be given credit for each and every image, some have links back to the source, but there are an number of images that don't. I therefore suggest either temporary or permanent banning this users IP range if you think it's necessary. From what I can see, this user no longer contributes to this site anyway, so you have nothing to lose by doing so, and it may help deter others from doing the same in future.

#2 2020-02-10 14:27:44

boris

Re: [IDEA] BAN PREVIOUS USERS FOR UNFAIR USE OF CONTENT

All our images are in public domain which means users can use and distribute them at their own will and pretty much do anything they want with them. We appreciate attribution or mention just as we do give credit to any file that is not our own. But public domain is public domain and one thing I think whole public domain community can give credit to OCAL is unlimited use of their files. We want to continue in their steps and not limit users in use of our own files. So distribution of our files is ok with or without attribution. As far as I can see, attribution is given in majority of these files and it is much appreciated. Knowing liftarn and other users from this forum and even users from old OCAL community, we never had any problem with them regarding attribution. It is a thing of fair representation of the original author of the file and we always try to give credit where credit is due. That's the least we can do for anyone who gave up rights for the use of the image.

There will be no bans or any further grudges within this tiny community. Let anyone do what they think is best, either on this website or any other website. What is important is contribution and increase of public domain images on the Internet. Be it here or on OCAL or freesvgclipart or wikimedia or anywhere else. Let's stay positive and work towards increasing public domain library on the Internet.

#3 2020-02-10 15:51:59

rob_s

Re: [IDEA] BAN PREVIOUS USERS FOR UNFAIR USE OF CONTENT

I understand the usage right of CC0 / public domain images so thankfully don't need reminded of what it represents. In my opinion this comes on the back of a previous post I made, where I had suggested scraping OCAL for new content so this appears to be in retaliation to this. I see the predicament, freesvg do not currently attribute true author to all of the files hosted so why should anyone else. But I think if possible, where the source is known, full credit should be given, even if it's not a requirement, especially since you guy's don't appear to enter any meta data into those files which you create.

This is not a grudge, I just figured it's a matter that should be brought to your attention, if there is any grudges to be held then it is on the part of the two individuals who tried their hardest to corrupt the moral values that you instill, as they wanted to make it place where anything goes. I have been the only one to defend the decisions made by yourselves to enforce mild censorship so obviously I am seen as the bad guy, so in that respect all I can say is thanks for the support guys.

I personally don't see the problem in banning users that do not share the same enthusiasm for the site, and only seem to want to corrupt it, or those who engage in nefarious offsite vendetta's toward it.

Board footer